The presentation by Trevor Mackenzie was amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed his ability to interact with audience and relay his knowledge through his experiences in the classroom. I enjoyed hearing a practicing teacher explain his craft through a lens of practicality and theory. This is more of example from EDCI 515 but the meshing of theoretical practice with practical implementation of inquiry-based learning provides a more detailed explanation.

I connected with the piece about using student voice and experience to influence the direction of learning in the classroom. It is a great starting point to rethink how we look at curriculum. The curriculum can provide a backbone to the content but the inspiration and students interest should direct how we complete it. I enjoyed the story that Trevor mentioned about how experienced master teachers can have a grand well thought out lesson/unit plan organized but if an event (Ex. House demolition) enacts excitement and curiosity in your students, the ability to switch directions and capture the moment is a true talent and shows experience. This ties into the readings and theories that we are exploring 515.

Looking at the characteristics of inquiry Trevor brought up a point that stuck with me. Where I do belong on this image?

How does this connect to my ongoing investigation into my question of creating more parent participation through communication modalities?

I think that a key characteristic of connecting with my question is #5 (Teach grit, perseverance, growth mindset & self-regulation.) I feel that for parents to become engaged and buy into being an active member of their child’s education is a growth mindset. I think the benefit of growth mindset would be to involved with their child’s updates and going-ons at school but also be passively involved without completing their child’s work and/or assignments for them. The goal would be able to create a relationship between the child, parent and teacher to create a community that encourages engagement but not the need to complete the students work for them and feel the need for their child to get an A+ all the time. I see this in my classroom where I receive work that is clearly completed by the parents and not by the student. Parents also have to rethink education and not just teachers. This is where the relationship has to enter and play a role into the creating the ongoing discussion of communication between the student, parent and teacher.

Photo Credit: Trevor MacKenzie: Inquiry Mindset by Trevor MacKenzie

https://www.trevormackenzie.com/inquiry-mindset